Sunday, June 15, 2008

Nuts anyone?


We have 5 macadamia nut trees. I have ignored them for 8 years and just let them fall to the ground and have the gardener rake them up. This year we had a great crop of nuts, so I decided that I would harvest some nuts, dry them for a few weeks, and have great nuts for cookies and things. So I started collecting a few each week, then a big container full each week, and finally I became obsessed and was collecting them practically every time I saw one fall (you have to let them fall to the ground). Fortunately, I have a downstairs kitchen where I can store them. Next I have to buy a special nut cracker so I don't have to sit on the cement floor with a hammer to crack them (the shells are really hard). And finally, what can I do with hundreds of macadamia nuts. They are great in cookies, I know, but there has to be something else I can do with my nuts. Anybody got any good recipes?

8 comments:

Christine said...

Hi Aunt Donetta! You need to convince my mom to start a blog :)
Well I think you are missing the real value in the nuts, which is, that they are totally organic!!! :)
Put them in little baggies, like 20 per bag, with a cute ribbon, go to your local farmers market, and sell your "locally grown" "organic" nuts for $15 a bag. You can even advertise that unlike the nuts that are ruthlessly plucked from their branches, you let your nuts live out their lives to the fullest, and then fall naturally.
This could be a very lucrative endeavor.... :)

The Carroll's said...

WOW!! that is a ton of nuts! You could cover them in chocolate and give them to sisters in your wad for their birthday's or just because you have TON OF NUTS!!!

Swirly Scarves by Gladys said...

Rob and Donetta--Kerri shared your blog with me and it was fun to see all your nuts! What a FUN challenge!!! She also started me on a blog as well--our kids are good at getting us connected. check out mine and let's keep in touch--http://havegrandmawilltravel.blogspot.com/
Gladys

Adriann said...

I like Christine's idea! Save a few hundred for cookies, then sell the rest! I bet you could get a ton of cash! Enough probably to pay someone to explain your car to you =). I'll ask my foodie friends if they know anything fun to do with macadamia nuts and let you know.

Adriann said...

Shane suggested to dip them in chocolate and make nut clusters out of them. Freeze those, and give them away as Christmas gifts instead of Sees!

Grace said...

Mom, you crack me up, and I love you!!

Grace said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rebecca said...

Hey! Do you remember me? You'll remember my parents: Ron and Jean Arnott. I'm married with two boys in Oregon now. It's fun to run into your blog! Your family has grown quite a bit since I've seen them last!

Rebecca Arnott Webb